Free School Meals
Free School Meals
The Government provides schools with additional funding for any pupil who has been eligible for free schools meals within the last 6 years. Checking eligibility for free school meals benefits both the child/child’s family AND the school. Some families may be entitled to free school meals which could save parents £10.25 per week, per child, which is nearly £800 per year for a parent with two children at school. Also, the Government provides school with additional funding for any pupil who might have been eligible to free school meals at any time during the last 6 years (even if this was only for a very short period of time - perhaps when a parent was between jobs). Therefore, it is very important for the child/child’s family and the school to check eligibility for free school meals.
We have a system that enables us to check any parents’ eligibility against the data held by the Department for Education’s Eligibility Checking Service (ECS). As pupils’ circumstances may change at any time, once we have entered a parent’s details, the system will regularly update and we will have access to up-to-date information without ever needing to contact you again.
This service offers a number of benefits for parents/carers, including:-
- Offering a faster, simpler and more convenient application process
- Delivering instant notification of entitlement
- Reducing application errors through computer assisted validation
- Removing the need for reapplication where eligibility continues
- Removing the need for face-to-face meetings as these will no longer be required for application.
- Removing the need for parents having to go to Derby City Council’s offices, as everything will be done at CJS.
As you can understand, this funding is extremely important and is used to benefit your child in many areas of school life. In order for us to claim this income, all we require is your name, date of birth and National Insurance Number. Please complete the slip at the end of this form and return it to school whether you are in receipt of the above or not. Alternatively, you can register yourself by logging on to https://www.cloudforedu.org.uk/ofsm/link2ict or call in at the school office and let a member of the office team help you by logging on whilst you complete your check.
We will receive extra funding for pupils of parents who are in receipt of the following benefits:-
- Income Support
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit
- Working Tax Credit run on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
Or if your child
- Has been looked after by the Local Authority in care for at least one day.
- Has been adopted from care.
- Has left care through special guardianship.
- Is subject to a child arrangement order.